As a natural alternative, many people use medical marijuana to relieve their symptoms of nausea. All three types of cannabis strains – indica, sativa, and hybrids – have the potential properties to alleviate nausea for medical patients. See our list of nine of the best cannabis strains that help with nausea.
The Nine Best Cannabis Strains that Help Relieve Symptoms of Nausea
1. Blueberry Diesel – This indica dominant strain is a hybrid flower made from crossing Blueberry and Sour Diesel. Blueberry Diesel is recognized not only for its beautiful appearance with greens, blues, purples, oranges, and resinous buds covered with trichomes but also for its pungent aroma of blueberry and hints of gasoline. When consuming the flower, users experience earthy, citrus, and pine notes, as well as the sweet flavor of blueberry.
Ideal for treating symptoms associated with nausea, Blueberry Diesel boasts a THC percentage of 20% with a 1% CBD makeup. Consumers’ effects when smoking this cannabis strain are calming, happy, and relaxing. Many medical patients use this hybrid strain to relieve pain, eliminate fatigue, and decrease anxiety. Since this marijuana strain has long-lasting effects, Blueberry Diesel is excellent for use during bouts of nausea during the day, giving medical patients the ability to still function and be productive despite feeling nauseous.
2. Blue Dream – This marijuana strain is made by combining Blueberry and Haze. The sativa dominant hybrid produces a balanced high and is a medical cannabis patient staple. With an average potency of 18% THC and a small amount of CBD, usually 0.1% to 0.2%, this hybrid cannabis strain is excellent for combatting nausea. Blue Dream has a distinct flavor profile, tasting of blueberries, citrus, and earthy flavors. The weed strain is noticeable with its brilliant deep green colors, crystalized trichomes, and orange and yellow hairs covering the flower.
Medical patients use Blue Dream regularly to alleviate symptoms associated with fatigue, chronic pain, depression, stress, and headaches. Nausea associated with these conditions can be relieved as well. When using Blue Dream, consumers experience uplifting, relaxing, energizing effects that promote happiness and a sense of wellbeing. This cannabis strain should be used during the day to ensure you receive its complete set of benefits.
3. Durban Poison – This popular sativa strain has its origins in South Africa but has since become popular on a global level. Medical marijuana patients seek Durban Poison when they go to cannabis dispensaries to help relieve some of their symptoms associated with medical conditions. Users can experience relief from nausea, ease chronic pain, and stimulate their appetite when they consume Durban Poison. Many consumers will opt for edibles, dabs, or concentrates to feel the effects of the full potency of Durban Poison.
The pure sativa cannabis strain is highly potent, with an average THC content ranging from 17% to 26% and a CBD level of 1%. Durban Poison has a sweet yet, pungent earthy aroma and a flavor profile with notes of lemon, orange, and vanilla that is both spicy and creamy. While this strain can be used both during the day and at night, the effects are energizing, productive, uplifting, and relaxing. You’ll recognize Durban Poison with its gigantic resinous buds covered in trichomes and its distinct orange hairs.
4. Headband – This hybrid cannabis strain is a mix of Sour Diesel and OG Kush – two other strains that made our top picks for nausea. Headband is an indica dominant strain with an average THC percentage of 23%. This flower is packed with trichome-covered buds and is extremely sticky. Medical patients use Headband to aid in the relief of symptoms of health conditions such as migraines, chronic pain, muscle spasms, nausea, sleep, and lack of appetite.
You should use Headband before bed or when you don’t have to be productive during the day because it makes you feel relaxed, promotes sleep, and is long-lasting. You may also experience laziness and be couch-locked with this heavy-hitting high. Headband is an enjoyable smoke with creamy and earthy flavors of citrus, lemon, diesel, and vanilla. The Headband high is sometimes accompanied by slight pressure on the users’ head, similar to wearing a headband, and it’s a beautiful strain for headaches.
5. Lavender – This indica dominant weed strain is rumored to have been created from Afghan Hawaiian, Super Skunk, and Big Skunk Korean. With its plentiful buds and purple color, the name is very fitting, especially when it comes to the floral scent. This cannabis strain even smells like the lavender plant.
Used often for nausea, anxiety, and stress, Lavender has a THC makeup of 19% and CBD of 1%. Users typically experience euphoric, relaxing, and calming effects, so it’s best to use the Lavender strain at night when you don’t have to be productive. Besides suppressing nausea, medical patients turn to the Lavender marijuana strain to alleviate symptoms of depression, anxiety, stress, PTSD, insomnia, and migraines.
6. OG Kush – A sativa dominant hybrid, OG Kush was created by crossing Chemdawg, Lemon Thai, and Hindu Kush. This classic cannabis strain has been around since the early ‘90s. Known for its particularly pungent aroma of skunk and spice, it boasts citrus flavors of lemon and lime with a hint of spice. OG Kush is a favorite cannabis strain for medical patients as it’s used to relieve symptoms of inflammation, chronic pain, depression, stress, insomnia, as well as nausea.
With a high THC content of about 23%, this hybrid strain has a traditional marijuana plant appearance and many crystallized trichomes on the plant’s buds. Users experience a very balanced high after smoking OG Kush, allowing them to feel rejuvenated and uplifted. Then as they relax and come down from the high, they may experience a bit of couch-lock.
7. Sour Diesel – This popular sativa dominant marijuana strain is also referred to as Sour Deez and Sour D in the cannabis community. It’s a hybrid formed from Super Skunk and Chemdawg. You’ll know Sour Diesel by its flavor and scent, as it has an aroma of gasoline mixed with skunk and lemon. Medical cannabis patients use Sour Diesel regularly to combat symptoms related to chronic pain, depression, stress, anxiety, and nausea.
Sour Diesel can kick start your day and be used throughout the day to provide a boost in energy and creativity. THC content for Sour Diesel has an average percentage of 22%. It’s no surprise that with its high potency, Sour Diesel has orange and pink buds covered in crystallized trichomes. While Sour Diesel is excellent for eliminating feelings of nausea, be aware that the aromas of smoking this strain will linger far after consuming. If you are trying to be discreet and want to cover up the smell of weed, see our post, 27 Ways to Mask that Weed Smell When You Smoke Marijuana.
8. Super Lemon Haze – Made by combining Lemon Skunk and Super Silver Haze, Super Lemon Haze is a sativa dominant hybrid with an average THC percentage of 20.5% and 0.1% CBD developed by Green House Seeds. With almost neon green buds coated in trichomes with kief and orange and yellow hairs, Super Lemon Haze is a gold mine for cannabis users. This strain is appropriately named as its primary flavor and scent is lemon.
Super Lemon Haze is best used during the daytime, as it sparks creativity, promotes focus, and energizes its users. The effects of Super Lemon Haze have been known to last for up to three hours. Medical marijuana patients enjoy smoking and consuming Super Lemon Haze to relieve chronic pain symptoms, increase appetite, boost mood, decrease anxiety and stress, reduce fatigue, and combat nausea.
9. White Fire OG #2 – This hybrid strain goes by other names like Wifi OG, White Fire, Wifi Kush, and Wifi, but is most commonly known as White Fire OG #2. This indica dominant strain is excellent for appeasing nausea-related symptoms. Other medical conditions that benefit from using White Fire OG #2 are glaucoma, chronic pain, cancer, anxiety, and appetite stimulant.
As you can see, our list varies by strain and potency, but all of these cannabis strains have some benefits for suppressing nausea. Remember, how each person is affected by these weed strains may vary depending on the level of experience – marijuana novice to cannabis connoisseur.